Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Best & Creamiest Chocolate Icing and A Birthday Tribute



It's Mr. Cozy's birthday is today, and although he is working ALL day long doesn't mean we couldn't celebrate!  Yesterday I made him a chocolate-fudge cake with homemade, creamy chocolate icing!  


We had a supper of spicy chicken tortilla soup and did the whole "birthday ritual" of candles, cake, gifts with our family of 4!  It was simple but so fun!  The children loved giving daddy their own card and watching him blow out his candles after a boisterous rendition of the birthday song!


My husband is so many things in my life, but first he is a gift, a blessing to me from the Lord!  I've known him since we were 8, and I've loved him for most of my life.  

His generosity towards his friends, love for his family, and passion for God are all part of the reason I knew I wanted to marry this man when I was 17.  God honored that desire, and 3 1/2 years later we had our timeless wedding.  

We've had so many twists and turns in our 9 yrs. of marriage, from him changing his major as nearly graduating elementary -ed to pre-med.... (Huge switch there!).  Moving from a town I never planned on leaving, to a city where we knew no one, for his education.  


Having many years waiting for a baby, then conceiving, then losing her suddenly and by surprise in my 2nd trimester.  This was a tragedy that took a long time to heal from. Years of being refined together in the fire and later called to adopt our amazing 2 kids by not less than a miracle from God!  It was not easy, but a three cord strand--of us two and God-- isn't easily broken.


Learning to really live on our own away from family and thriving in the process!  I even established a Christmas tradition of Cookies & Cocoa with the Cates that consists of me baking goodies like a wild woman and serving them to hungry friends at our festive annual party.  When we got married I never would've thought we would have 20+ new friends in our home... Ever!  It's incredible!


Leading worship together in church and just growing musically along side eachother.   He has always supported my  calling to sing 110%, while he is an amazing musician and a closet-writer.


Holding on to one another in horribly trying times and wonderful ones.  He has listened to more of my laughing, talking, crying, troubles, dreams and chatter than probably any other man could handle, ha!


This man I married is has inner strength from God.  He is definitely hilarious and silly like me, but even more he is a rock whose love has never waned towards me.  He's easy to love and serve, and I feel so thankful I married this man!!!


This awesome man happens to also loves chocolate -yay- and the icing on this cake.  I have to share the recipe with you, because it's the best chocolate frosting I've ever made!  It's not fudge frosting, but rather a fluffy, creamy milk kind of chocolate that would be divine on anything you put it.  I'll be making this recipe for years to come and for many more joyous occasions, like this one.


The Best & Creamiest Chocolate Frosting
Adapted from: Lauren's Latest

1 c. (2 sticks) Butter, softened
1/2 c. Cocoa powder, sifted
5 c. Powdered sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 Tbsp. Instant Espresso grounds
3-4 Tbsp. Milk or Cream
  
Note:  I used my stand mixer so my "stirring" wasn't by hand.  You can use whatever mixer you have, though. :)  I don't believe the lack of the latest kitchen gadgets should keep anyone from baking!

Whip butter and cocoa together until smooth in a large bowl.  Stir in vanilla, espresso powder, and sugar.  Slowly stream in milk until frosting reaches desired consistency.  Scrape side and whip again on medium speed until very light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Frosts a 9x13 cake, an 8 or 9 inch layered cake, or 24 cupcakes.

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to your husband! And that frosting looks so yummy ~ enjoy the celebrations!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tribute to your husband! You have been through a lot in 9 years. We picked up our family too, and moved 3000 miles away to a new city and knew no one. But we have made many friends in 8 years and call it home now! Life is a journey and it's all in attitude! Have a lovely week! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many happy birthdays to your hubby and richest blessings to you Both. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Happy Birthday to Mr. Cozy. What a loving tribute to him, sweet girl. I love seeing pics of both of you and your darling family. I'll bet he loved the frosting!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to read your words - you are your beautiful family are truly blessed.....
    Many happy returns to your husband, and I agree - the cake and frosting look AMAZING !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!