Friday, November 18, 2011

Patti's 1880s Settlement Sawdust Pie

(Don't you want a piece??)
This incredible slice of Sawdust Pie, is from a favorite local restaurant that is known for their over-the-top seasonal decor, 2 in. pork chops, "mile high" meringue pies and I also think their sawdust pie!   This beloved eatery is Patti's 1880's Settlement in the small yet charming, lakeside town of Grand Rivers, Ky.  

I've had this recipe for a few years now and every time I make it I remember just how good this pie really is!          
Being filled with graham cracker crumbs, coconut and pecans with a mound of fresh whipped cream and sliced bananas, this pie is good for a decadent breakfast or delicious dessert!  I tend to think of it more in the fall, but it's warm flavors are always welcome in my tummy. :)


Patti's (as us locals call it) is known for their amazing Christmas decor!  My Grandmother and I recently went there as tradition for her birthday, and they had the Christmas up and decorated it's all it's glory!  This is just a glimpse of some of the decor over the window in just one of the many rooms. I think the theme in this room was the nativity scene.


My Grandmother and I have always been very close.  She means so much to me and I love that she wanted to spend her birthday celebration at Patti's just the two of us!    


It was a day of fun!  The food (my delicious Kentucky Hot Brown with homemade potato chips and sawdust pie), the gifts, the Christmas atmosphere, all the chatting and laughing, and most importantly the company made this day one I won't forget.  I just had to share a piece of it with you!

If you live too far away to visit Patti's, then you should at least make this incredible Sawdust Pie!!!

Patti's 1880s Settlement Sawdust Pie

7 egg whites, whipped 

Add

1 1/2 c. pecans

1 1/2 c. sweetened coconut

1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs

1 1/2 c. sugar

Did I mention this is so easy to make?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mix all together well.  

Pour into 9 in. deep pie shell and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.  

When cool, top with whipped cream and freshly sliced bananas.  (Both are a must!)

Enjoy!


I'm linking up with:











5 comments:

  1. Oh my what a fabulous place. Cute pics also. This pie sounds absolutely unreal. I really do have to make this one. Thanks. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marty, I know you would like this pie and also the restaurant! If you're ever in the Kentucky Lake area, you must go! It's really worth a trip just to eat at Patti's and visit all of the shops.
    Have a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving!
    ~Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you live close to Patti's? I was just there in September. Growing up I always loved the food! And the every changing decor is so pretty, I always take pictures even though I have been there so many times throughout the years!

    @pril
    KoolBeenz-blog.blogspot.com
    For-the-love-of-pie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is the cutest blog that I have come across in a very long time - you are my new favorite blog!!! I love your recipes - they are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you use Honey graham cracker crumbs?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sweetening my day with your cozy comments!